Wednesday, June 27, 2007

The Penang Bridge International Marathon 24.6.07

As a Penangist, very pai se to tell ppl that this is my 1st time joining this one of the biggest yearly event in Penang… but, really it’s my 1st time ;p;p;p..

Back in high skol, the Quarter Marathon (10km route) category is only for 14-16yrs old (now already changed to 13-15years old coz they didn’t study Peralihan).. years 17 and above all will need to join Half Marathon (22.3km route) or Full Marathon (42.195km route)…

I registered while I’m 14 n 15, but just for the sake of getting the T-shirt.. that time I thought having the T-shirt was cool~.. and, at that time, I was too heavy to carry 70+ kg to run.. =)) =))

Until I was 16yrs old, I realized is the last chance for me to join this event for ‘the rest of my life’.. takkan I will go run for 22.3km in future?? impossible!!!.. BUT, unfortunately, I suffered a serious illness – chickenpox!!! Again, I missed the event, although I lost 10kg n had lighter body for my knee to support….. =(( =((

Then, this event is out of my life for years….

2007~!! Malaysia is celebrating 50th Anniversary of National Independence.. so, there opened a special category called ‘Fun Run’, which is 10km, for this year~!! That means my dream can be fulfill~!!! \:D/ \:D/

FULL MARATHON (6hours; the 1st prize is RM4000 - 6000)
(Group A, B, C were started at 3am)
Starting from Sek. Keb. Sg. Gelugor, Tengku Kudin round – about back to starting point, on the Penang Bridge, u - turn Prai Toll Plaza, on the Penang Bridge, Bayan Lepas Highway, u - turn at Seagate, Bayan Lepas Highway and finishing at USM.

HALF MARATHON (3 hours; the 1st prize is RM1500 - 3000)
(Group D, E, F were started at 430am while Gourp G & H were started at 500am)
Starting from Sek. Keb. Sg. Gelugor, on the Penang Bridge , u - turn Prai Toll Plaza , on the Penang Bridge and finishing at USM.

QUARTER MARATHON (90 mins; the 1st prize is RM800) & FUN RUN (120 mins)
(Group J, K, L were started at 530am)
Starting from RECSAM, u - turn at the Mid – span of the Penang Bridge and finishing at USM.

The bridge is the third longest bridge in the world (13.5km; still 3rd?? not sure..) and it is the only time of the year when bridge is closed for several hours (2am – 10am).. but not for 2007 la, as there was a bomb threat incident happened on 4.4.07 (4:45pm – 7pm) at KM 3.8 which resulted almost 4hours traffic standstill in Penang and Butterworth due to bridge closed for investigation!!

Before I did the registration online, I was considering going for Women Open (22.3km) because I want the Finisher Medal for all runners who complete the run within the prescribed time.. they were giving to all categories except Fun Run.. hmmm.. but, I know I’m just lion, not I.R.O.N.. so, guai guai went for Fun Run and got the Certificate of Participation enough la… ;p;p;p

On 22th June, we went to collect our T-shirt at Queensbay Mall.. saw a lot of ppl Q-ing for that also.. can foresee how big event is that…

The night before, went for ‘Fantastic 4’ with Kelvin, Irene and YeeSeong.. just so-so.. dun put high expectation and sat there simply enjoyed it.. had dinner at Seoul Garden, ok ok la, abit nicer than last time I tried in Singapore.. the back to sleep in Ahlik’s hse, that’s my another house in Pg, thx lik, hahahaha… chit chat and browsed the KK pic until nearly 12midnite… zzZZzzzzZzzzz

4am, woke up by doremon’s theme song.. blur blur drove to Angelia’s house and parked my car there.. then Irene’s bf, YS, sent us to the starting point RECSAM.. most of the roads were closed for the event.. YS’s car cant go in to RECSAM, so we had a little warmed up walking there like many ppl did…

It was so so so crowded.. much more crowded than I could imagined.. at least 5x more crowded than Starwalk.. mind you, only 3 categories were started at this point.. imagine 8 categories of ppl packed at another starting point.. walaoe~~.. saw a lot of kids and I’m so old to stand among all of the.. luckily still got a lot uncle aunty joined Fun Run.. ahha.. some even came from KL, Thailand, Singapore!!!... really ‘International’… got guai-lou & guai-mui also…

“peep~ peep~~!!” the run began. One rectangular stage on the right of starting point.. a lot ‘Tua-Liap-Liang’ (I dunno who are they..;p;p) stood there to witness this historical moment.. ahha.. ‘heavy traffic’.. all moved forward slowly.. cant actually ‘run’.. 3 of us went left & right, tried to get out from this crowded place.. started to sweat..

After 20mins, we were entering the bridge.. the scene just exactly like 6pm traffic on weekdays.. haha.. could see all heads moving towards the ‘neck’ of bridge.. like a bunch of ants.. Irene was the fittest among us and ah lia jie bluffed me into believing that she is lack of stamina… in fact, the most lousy one was me.. hehe :”> :”>

We walked + jogged towards the ‘triangles’ of bridge.. ( I cant said it’s middle coz the ‘triangles’ is actually located nearer to island compare to it’s distance from mainland.. the sky was still very dark.. saw a lot of ppl were busy taking photos but my hp got problem.. so, we didn’t take any pic on the bridge… >.<

After U-turn at the middle of ‘triangles’, guess we had finished 7km in 60mins.. we tend to walk more than jog for the way back to USM.. unlike Starwalk, runners got cool 100plus at mid point, I felt so thirsty (didn’t bring water myself ;p) until I reached around the km 8 of my route only got one small cup of Spritzer… and had to fight for that like war… very big difference for moderate and big events…

Bo-lat to run after I finished my spritzer.. went slower n slower.. ahha.. pai se.. psycholocal prob again.. ;p;p;p.. the sky turned bright in few minutes.. some of the full/half-marathon ket-ka joined our crowd already.. pui-fokk~!!.. suddenly I had a thought that why I didn’t bring my counterpain.. ahha… siao liao~~.. Also, there were some supporter ‘on duty’.. they yelled with banner: Nothing is Impossible~!! Imposibble is Nothing~!!.. felt myself like camping during high skol time, creating our patrol yells.. hahahhahaa

Last 500m, could heard the MC talking on stage in USM.. Irene started to accelerate, so I followed.. she really ket.. we jogged back to ending point and finished at 7:05am (95mins; 5mins late from our own targeting time).. ah lia jie slowly enjoyed at the back.. and I very bad, went to ‘cheat’ for another Certificate for my younger sister, haha, coz she missed the event due to the gathering with frens in Bk Merah Waterpark.. ahha…

Actually no need cheat one la.. some ppl will just drop their cert or medal anywhere.. my brother said last time they saw a lot were left on field.. can collect it and sell back to organizer or sell to ‘old-news-paper’ van =)) =))

So many sponsors set booth here, got indocafe, spritzer, fitness cereal, milo, yeo’s drink.. and so on.. luckily not too much of runners reached yet, we went thru the short-Q and tried most of these freebies.. hehe.. by that time only my hp could function.. kek hei~!!.. Irene and Angelia were tired and I kept asking them to snap pictures with/for me.. ahha.. then, before we left, we went to Sports Complex at opposite to claim our goodies bag ^^

The event still on going.. but we decided to go back liao.. We walked about 1.5 - 2 km back to Sri Nibong traffic light and YS waited us there.. no one have mood for breakfast already.. my legs were pain (just recovered from KK trip.. dai sei~ ;p;p;p).. and I just went back to ahlik’s hse for a short nap before ‘breakfast’ n drove back to B’worth….

Thanks mouse for the tix.. Irene n Angelia for the fun.. YS for the ride.. and Lik for the stay.. alwiz mafan a lot ppl.. pai se pai se.. keke… Pg bridge marathon, “HOPE” to see you in 2008 la~~ hahahaa… -The End-









No comments: